See What it Takes to Become an Excellent Nurse Aide
By Sybil Morneau
If you want to get started in the health care industry and take advantage of the many available jobs, becoming a nursing assistant (or a CNA – Certified Nursing Assistant) is a great place to start. You can complete your education quickly and get into the workforce in a very short time. Due to aging baby boomers, there is a huge demand for trained health care professionals. CNA’s are needed everywhere! This is a great opportunity for you to make a difference in someone’s life every single day you are on the job!
How Can You Be a Great CNA?
1. Finish high school! This is the first thing you will need to do because you will need a high school diploma to enroll in a nursing assistant program.
2. Enroll in a reputable CNA course. Look for a program that is certified, to start off. Look for a school that offers courses taught by professionals who have real life experience- their experience will be invaluable!. Schools that offer work practicums can also help you get started in a job faster.
3. Focus on being a health advocate. Set your mind to providing excellent service for patients. You should be aware of the fact that you will need to complete background check and drug test. These are part of the requirements to be in most nursing assistant programs, as you will be responsible for the care of others, some of whom may be vulnerable people.
4. Be ready to handle some stress. Remember that not all stress is bad but sometimes you will need to deal with rushed nurses and doctors or unhappy patients. Being a good team player will go a long way to making yourself a valued member of any healthcare team.
5. Have great communication skills. Being able to communicate effectively with patients and health care professionals will help make you great at your job. Learn to adjust to those you are working with according to their needs. Doctors and nurses will need information relayed quickly and promptly. Patients may need a kinder and gentler tone of voice. Knowing how to communicate in different situations will serve you well and help your days go more smoothly.
6. Be comfortable working different shifts. Most nursing assistants will work a variety of shifts from early mornings to afternoons and sometimes, late into the evening. This takes physical and mental preparation and part of that is taking good care of your own health. Exercise and eating right can also help reduce stress, both while you’re in school and when you start your new career!
7. Practice good hygiene. As with any health care professional, cleanliness is critical. You will work directly with patients that are ill and have lowered immune systems so keeping yourself and anything you touch clean is very important.
If you keep these tips and guidelines in mind, you are on your way to becoming a great CNA. Certified Nursing Assistants are an important part of our healthcare system, and you can find great rewards in a nursing assistant career!
Nursing Blog Articles
Why Should a CEO be Paid 600 Times as Much as an Employee
Free Training Classes for CNA Certification
What Makes a Great CNA
50 Nursing Scholarships For 2014
3 Free CNA Classes in Boston MA
3 Free CNA Classes in Chicago IL
3 Free CNA Classes in Dallas TX
3 Free CNA Classes in Detroit MI
3 Free CNA Classes in Houston TX
3 Free CNA Classes in Indianapolis IN
3 Free CNA Classes in Jacksonville FL
3 Free CNA Classes in Los Angeles CA
3 Free CNA Classes in Maryland
3 Free CNA Classes in New York NY
3 Free CNA Classes in Philadelphia PA
3 Free CNA Classes in Phoenix AZ
3 Free CNA Classes in Portland OR
3 Free CNA Classes in Sacramento CA
3 Free CNA Classes in San Antonio TX
3 Free CNA Classes in San Diego CA
3 Free CNA Classes in San Francisco CA
3 Free CNA Classes in San Jose CA
3 Free CNA Classes in South Carolina
RN License Transfer to California
RN License Transfer to Connecticut
RN License Transfer to Florida
RN License Transfer to Georgia
RN License Transfer to Illinois
RN License Transfer to Maryland
RN License Transfer to New York
RN License Transfer to Texas
Best NCLEX-RN Exam Review Guides
Best NCLEX-PN Test Prep Course
Top Ranked LPN Programs in Chicago
Top Ranked LPN Programs in Los Angeles
Top LPN Schools in Indiana
Top Ranked LPN Programs in Hawaii
Top Ranked LPN Programs in Houston
Top Ranked LPN Programs in New York
Top Ranked LPN Programs in Philadelphia
Top Ranked LPN Programs in Phoenix
Best LPN Programs in San Diego
Top Ranked LPN Programs in San Jose
How to Find Free CNA Classes
Pros and Cons of Hospice Nursing
3 Best Nursing Career Choices
Nurses Working Closely With Doctors
Taking an Accelerated RN Course
Added Value of an MSN Degree
Choosing a Career as a CNA
ASU Nursing - Mayo Clinic Partnership
Health Boards Cutting Nursing Jobs
Nursing Job Market in Maine Tightens
Tips for Buying Nursing Uniforms & Scrubs
100 Best YouTube Videos For Nurses
The Hard Part About Being a CNA
Is Bay Area Nurse Strike Justified?
Are Hospitals Phasing Out LPNs?
Should I Become an LPN or CNA?
Becoming a Pediatric Nurse
Nursing Careers in Assisted Living
Reasons to Choose a Career in Nursing
Top 10 BSN Degree Nursing Programs
Written by Nurses Link